The prayer shawl ministry is a needlework group that crafts blankets and shawls for patients while setting an intention of healing or prayer for the recipient. The goal of the ministry is to give a gift of support and healing to those in need. When the shawls or blankets are left with a patient, it leaves a tangible example of our care and blessings.
Give a gift of support and healing
All are welcome to join our group, knit or crochet on your own, or give a monetary donation. For more information or would like to get involved with our prayer shawl ministry, contact Kathy Pederson.
All are welcome to participate in the prayer shawl ministry and can do so in the following ways:
- Join our monthly group and craft with fellow prayer shawl members
- Make a prayer shawl from home while working at your own pace
- Help spread the word about the prayer shawl ministry in your faith community
- Make a monetary donation to HealthEast Foundation to help support this ministry of healing
Tips and guidelines for crafting
As you work on your project, set an intention of healing or prayer for the receiver. Create a quiet, comforting space for yourself as you work on your project.
- If knitting or crocheting, please use only acrylic or cotton yarns. No wool or specialty yarns can be accepted. Also, please do not use any tassels or embellishments on your projects.
- If you are crafting quilts or lap blankets, please use clean, washable 100 percent cotton, flannel or fleece fabrics. No other fabrics or Holiday pattern fabrics will be accepted. Also, please do not use any fringe or embellishments on your projects.
- Blankets/shawls that smell of smoke or strong chemicals, including perfumed fabric softeners or have pet hair on them cannot be accepted, as they may cause an allergic reaction in the person receiving the gift. Unfortunately, washing these items does not always remove the problem.
- Please use a lint brush or roller on all completed project to remove threads and lint.
- Check your projects for straight pins. Use only safety pins to attach notes to the project.
- Finished projects can be dropped off at the Welcome Desk.
Prayer Shawl community gathering dates for 2018
The meeting room is to be determined each month. When you arrive, check with the Welcome Desk for our meeting location.