Diagnosing a sleep disorder requires you to be monitored during sleep. This happens throughout a single 8-hour nighttime period in a private room.
While you are asleep, equipment and sensors record and monitor signals such as:
- Brain waves
- Eye movements
- Muscle tension
- Leg movements
- Blood oxygen levels
When you wake up in the morning, the sleep study will be over.
The day of the study
On the day of your scheduled sleep study, the most important thing you can do is also the easiest — just follow your normal routine.
- Remember to bathe or shower and shampoo your hair.
- Avoid using any skin creams, oils or hair conditioners after bathing.
- Try to eat your evening meal before 7 pm.
- Avoid foods and drinks that contain caffeine (coffee, tea, colas, chocolate).
- Avoid drinking alcoholic beverages (beer, wine, liquor).
- You may be asked to shave if you have stubble on your face. The facial sensors adhere better to clean-shaven skin or longer facial hair.
- You may be asked to remove acrylic nail polish or the acrylic nail on one of your fingers to ensure accurate monitoring.
What to bring
- If you are diabetic, bring blood glucose monitor and supplies.
- A current list of your medications (prescription and non-prescription). Bring any medications you may need throughout the night or the next morning.
- If you'd like a snack during the evening, feel free to bring one with you.
- Bring your own pajamas. Patients are not allowed to sleep only in undergarments.
- Bring your favorite pillow.
- Toiletries or other personal hygiene items.
When You Arrive
The sleep center is located in a locked and secure building. When you arrive, please ring the bell. A technician will unlock the door remotely so you can enter.
Sleep Care Center amenities
HealthEast Sleep Care Centers have been designed around your comfort with the look and feel of a contemporary hotel.
Our private sleep rooms feature:
- Quality beds
- Guest Wi-Fi access
- Shower facilities
- Individual thermostat control
Sleep Care Center Photos
Private, comfortable rooms and the look and feel of a hotel.
The morning after your sleep study
- All of our patients will follow up with the sleep physician who referred them for the sleep study within one to two weeks after the study is complete.
- We will remind you to make a follow-up appointment with your physician.
- A continental breakfast will be available.
If you must cancel your test, please contact us at least 48 hours in advance. Call our staff at 651-232-1212 during business hours, 8:30 am to 5 pm.