To call the ICU
- Critical Care Center/ICU Nursing Station (for family spokesperson and emergency calls): 651-232-0132
- Critical Care Center/ICU Waiting Room: 651-232-0671
- Woodwinds Welcome Desk: 651-232-0228
About the ICU
The Critical Care Center (commonly referred to as the ICU) was designed especially for critically ill patients who need around-the-clock care, monitoring or treatment.
Knowing the status of a loved one is important. To support communication between the ICU staff and each patient's family, we offer these recommendations:
- Appoint a family spokesperson to relay updates to other family members. Multiple requests and phone calls to the ICU reduce staff time to care for patients.
- Please encourage family and friends to contact the spokesperson for updates.
- Updates may happen as conditions change - in these cases, ICU staff will seek out the spokesperson and family if present at the hospital.
- The ICU staff may schedule a family conference to give updates. It may be important for all decision-makers to be present. Conferences may include multiple doctors, social workers or spiritual care chaplains.
Healing arts therapies
To aid in recovery, Woodwinds offers patients a variety of healing arts therapies during their stay at no cost. The therapies available include the use of essential oils, guided imagery, healing touch, acupressure and massage. Music therapy is also used at Woodwinds, and we invite patients and families to bring a favorite CD or cassette that can be played in their room.
ICU staff works hard to provide a caring atmosphere that promotes the fastest possible recovery. Family members and loved ones play an important part in that recovery. For this reason, we don't limit visiting to certain hours. Visitors should, however, respect the patient's need for rest, which is an essential part of the healing process.
When visiting a patient in the ICU:
- Please check with the nurse before entering a room. A drawn curtain usually indicates a treatment is in progress and privacy is necessary.
- You may be asked to step out of the room if immediate care is necessary.
- Flowers and latex balloons are not allowed in the ICU. Mylar balloons are acceptable.
- Changes in visiting guidelines are at the discretion of the doctor or nurse. Feel free to discuss individual needs with the nurse.
Accommodations for family
Each ICU room is designed with overnight accommodations for family members or loved ones.
If you or a family member has traveled from out of town and needs other overnight accommodations, please contact the Woodwinds Guest Services department or find local hotels here. Several area hotels have arranged special room rates for Woodwinds visitors. Arrangements are also possible through HealthEast Care System, which has guest housing available at minimal cost.
For more information, call the Welcome Center at 651-232-0228.