The prayer shawl ministry is a needlework group that crafts blankets and shawls for patients while setting an intention of healing or prayer for the recipient.
The goal of the ministry is to give a gift of support and healing to those in need. When the shawls or blankets are left with a patient, it leaves a tangible example of our care and blessings.
All are welcome to participate in the prayer shawl ministry and can do so in the following ways:
- Join our monthly group and craft with fellow prayer shawl members
- Make a prayer shawl from home while working at your own pace
- Help spread the word about the prayer shawl ministry in your faith community
- Make a monetary donation to the Woodwinds Integrative Service Foundation to help support this ministry of healing
Tips and guidelines for crafting
As you work on your project, set an intention of healing or prayer for the receiver. Create a quiet, comforting space for yourself as you work on your project.
- If knitting or crocheting, please use only acrylic or cotton yarns. No wool or specialty yarns can be accepted. Also, please do not use any tassels or embellishments on your projects. Blankets must be sized 40x60 inches, shawls 30x70 inches.
- If you are crafting quilts or lap blankets, please use clean, washable 100% cotton, flannel or fleece fabrics. No other fabrics or Holiday pattern fabrics will be accepted. Also, please do not use any fringe or embellishments on your projects. Quilts must be sized 40x60 inches.
- Blankets/shawls that smell of smoke or strong chemicals, including perfumed fabric softeners or have pet hair on them cannot be accepted, as they may cause an allergic reaction in the person receiving the gift. Unfortunately, washing these items does not always remove the problem.
- Please use a lint brush or roller on all completed project to remove threads and lint.
- Check your projects for straight pins. Use only safety pins to attach notes to the project.
Community gathering dates for 2013
We'll meet from 6 to 8 pm at Woodwinds on these dates:
- July 23
- August 27
- September 24
- October 22
- November 26
- December 17
When you arrive, please check at the Welcome Desk (651-232-0228) for our meeting location.
For more info or to get involved
If you have questions or would like to get involved, contact Katie Murphy at firstname.lastname@example.org or