Contact us: 651-232-5521
The Faith Community Nurse Network seeks registered nurses who are dedicated to the health and wellness of a church/faith community or community program.
Learn more about parish nursing and our program in an article from a recent HealthEast newsletter:
Is Parish Nursing in Your Future?
About the position
While each faith community nurse position is uniquely crafted to meet the needs of a specific group, faith community nurses must desire to work with members of a congregation in many ways:
- Visit members in their homes, nursing homes or hospital rooms
- Counsel members on health related issues
- Assist in obtaining health services
- Help members understand the relationship between body, mind and spirit
- Teach classes on how to maintain good health
- Provide health screening at health fairs and other events
- Develop support groups with the church
- Coordinate congregational volunteers
- Navigate the health care system
- Walk families through advance directives or Honoring Choices Minnesota
The network provides these benefits to faith community nurses:
More information on the benefits of joining the HealthEast Faith Community Nurse Network.
- Connection to a Judeo-Christian based health care system
- Access to HealthEast resources as well as community programs and services
- Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) opportunities
- Resource Library: current health ministry books, manuals and videos
- Research, documentation and outcomes support through the HealthEast Research department
- Continuing education opportunities: retreats, meetings and HealthEast classes
- Mentoring, coaching and consulting from the network manager
- Network meetings and support from supervisor and other parish nurses
A week in the life of a faith community nurse
Examples of common activities parish nurses perform on a weekly basis:
- Telephone contacts - 37
- Church office visits - 20
- Home visits to parishioners in need - 17
- Support group development and assistance - 2
- Referrals to congregational and community resources - 6
- Volunteer coordination - 3
- Advocate to those in need of health care resources - 9
- Integrator of faith, showing how body, mind and spirit are closely related - 36
- Educator for classes and counseling on health-related topics - 21
Statistics are an average of all churches and community sites within the HealthEast Faith Community Nurse Network.
Faith community nurse manager
HealthEast's faith community nurse manager provides orientation, consultation, resources and support to help faith community nurses to develop in their role within the church or community program.
An important step in the development of a faith community nurse ministry is forming a health and wellness committee. The faith community nurse manager educates churches and provides direction and support for the faith community nurse ministry through this committee.
For more information
For more information about the HealthEast Faith Community Nurse Network, or becoming a faith community nurse, contact the Faith Community Nurse Network Coordinator at 651-232-5521 or email@example.com.