We need to know a lot of information about you before your surgery. One to five days before your scheduled procedure a nurse will call you for a pre-screening interview. The phone call with the nurse will be much faster and easier if you have organized your information prior to the call. Please have the following information available:
- Complete your preoperative history and physical exam.
- Have your primary care provider's and any specialty providers' contact information available. This should include the provider's name, clinic name and phone number.
- If requested by your primary care provider, have any cardiopulmonary exams as soon as possible.
- Have an accurate list of your medications available. Look at the bottle for exact name, dosage and frequency. Use My Medicine List.
- Have a list of your allergies/sensitivities or reactions.
- Know your health history, surgical history and medical problems.
- Know any anesthesia issues with you or within your family.
Do not have a pedicure or manicure on the affected extremity the week before surgery. There is a possibility that small breaks in the skin or nails that occur could potentially increase the risk of infection.
Do not shave around the operative areas for at least 48 hours before surgery. Small cuts in the skin could increase the risk of infection.