After a stroke, it is important to build strength and confidence so you can continue your daily activities. Your doctor will work with rehabilitation specialists to provide a treatment program specifically suited to you.
Rehabilitation (rehab) begins in the hospital soon after a stroke. For some, it continues at home. Others require more intense rehab, for instance at Bethesda Hospital, or in a nursing home care setting.
What you do in stroke rehab depends on your individual needs. The specialists - including physical, occupational and speech therapists - can assist you with many skills including:
- Self-care such as feeding, grooming, bathing and dressing
- Mobility such as transferring or walking
- Communication in speech or language
- Cognitive skills such as memory or problem solving
- Socialization skills including interacting with other people
Decades of experience in reinventing lives.
Bethesda is a long-term acute care hospital that offers integrated programs for patients whose illnesses or injuries have long-term effects. We provide care for our patients' physical, emotional, spiritual and social needs.See more about this hospital Get patient and visitor information