Teens can commit to one or more volunteering sessions throughout the year:
- School-year session: Mid-September to late May
- Summer: Mid-June to late August (applications received after April 1 may be placed on a waiting list and not contacted for an interview)
The qualities we look for in a teen volunteer are: compassion, understanding, willingness, dependability, courtesy, loyalty and a pleasant attitude.
Teen volunteers must be between the ages of 15 and 18 and meet the following requirements:
- Complete an application with parental signature.
- Visit the volunteer office for an interview with a staff member.
- Commit to volunteer one day a week for:
- 4 hours or more during the summer
- 2 ½ hours or more during the school year
- Attend an orientation session and complete a Mantoux screening before being placed.
- Purchase a volunteer polo shirt as part of a uniform with pants and athletic shoes. Jeans, capri pants and sandals are not allowed.
- Complete a session with a minimum of absences.
Rewards of volunteering
Besides being of service, our teen volunteers gain:
- Experience dealing with people
- New skills
- New friends
- Work experience
- Eligibility for HealthEast Teen Volunteer Scholarships
- Job references
- Cafeteria coupon each time you volunteer
- Personal development and satisfaction
How and when do you start?
The next step is up to you! Fill out our online application.
Once you have successfully submitted the form, you will be taken to a thank you page that includes a health form and a reference form. Please print these off, complete according to the instructions and return to us at the address listed on the form.
If we have something to fit your experience and availability, you will hear from us before the beginning of the next session. At that time, you will be invited to come in for an interview.
Immediate openings become available throughout the year for a variety of positions. Applicants will be contacted as those needs occur. Please note that inexperienced first-time volunteers are generally not considered for weekends.
Due to the large number of applications we receive, not all applicants are accepted into the program. We reserve the right to place volunteers based on their skills and the needs of the hospital.
We look forward to receiving your application. If you have questions, please contact our volunteer coordinator at 651-232-7041 or firstname.lastname@example.org.