A private home owned by Gustav Willius on Hoffman Avenue was purchased in 1910 and converted into a 25 bed hospital - the first St. John's Hospital. The first two floors were for patients and the third floor provided living quarters for the nurses.
The renovation was made possible with the cooperation of East Side businessmen, pastors and the Lutheran Synodical Conference of St. Paul, led by Dr. F.J. Plondke. One method of raising money was through the sale of hospital tickets, an early form of pre-payment for health care.
September 24, 1911
St. John's German Hospital was dedicated. Miss Magdalena Rau was the first Superintendent and remained with the hospital for 42 years.
October 1, 1911
The first patient, a typhoid fever case, arrived at St. John's Hospital for treatment.
The hospital turned over to the city during the flu epidemic to care for charity patients. Within 24 hours, the census jumped from 55 to 138 patients. Thirteen died during the first 12 hours. Nurses were stricken and Bethesda and St. Joseph's Hospitals sent nurses to assist.
A $1.7 million addition project began.
St. John's developed three specialized nursing units - Limited Care, General Care and Intensive Care. This concept became known as "progressive patient care" and soon would develop in other parts of the country.
The hospital celebrated 50 years of service. A survey in 1961 and a five year study discovered that St. John's Hospital was the dominant hospital for the East Side of Ramsey County and a substantial part of Dakota and Washington counties. St. John's was encouraged to expand its facilities and services to meet the area's needs adequately.
St. John's enlarged the Pharmacy department. Land was purchased for a satellite hospital and Approval was given to build a 100 bed Extended Care Unit. The ECF Unit was named for Paul C. Schorr and dedicated in November.
The hospital had a busy year implementing the following:
- Coronary Care
- Computer accounting
- Medical preceptors in family practice
- Alcoholics Anonymous
- 5-Day Stop Smoking Plan
- Family counseling
- Class for people with diabetes
- Prenatal classes
- Drug abuse education
A treatment center for chemically addicted patients was added, along with a Counterweight Program. New amenities included vending areas and renovated kitchen and dining areas.
St. John's Northeast Hospital was built at its current Maplewood location. It was a state-of-the-art facility with private rooms. With St. John's East Side also in operation, St. John's Hospital was considered "one hospital with two sites."
- St. John's Hospital joined other metro hospitals to form HealthEast Care System
- St. John's East Side closed.
St. John's Hospital selected a "Top 100" hospital by Modern Healthcare.