St. John's Hospital

State-of-the-art care in a comforting environment.
St. John's Hospital

St. John's History

  • 1910A private home owned by Gustav Willius on Hoffman Avenue was purchased in 1910 and converted into a 25-bed hospital - the first St. John's Hospital. The first two floors were for patients and the third floor provided living quarters for the nurses. The renovation was made possible with the cooperation of East Side businessmen, pastors and the Lutheran Synodical Conference of St. Paul, led by Dr. F.J. Plondke. One method of raising money was through the sale of hospital tickets, an early form of pre-payment for health care.
  • September 24, 1911 – St. John's German Hospital was dedicated. Miss Magdalena Rau was the first Superintendent and remained with the hospital for 42 years.
  • October 1, 1911 – The first patient, a typhoid fever case, arrived at St. John's Hospital for treatment.
  • 1918 – The hospital turned over to the city during the flu epidemic to care for charity patients. Within 24 hours, the census jumped from 55 to 138 patients. Thirteen died during the first 12 hours. Nurses were stricken and Bethesda and St. Joseph's Hospitals sent nurses to assist.
  • 1951 – A $1.7 million addition project began.
  • 1956 – St. John's developed three specialized nursing units - Limited Care, General Care and Intensive Care. This concept became known as "progressive patient care" and soon would develop in other parts of the country.
  • 1961 – The hospital celebrated 50 years of service. A survey in 1961 and a five year study discovered that St. John's Hospital was the dominant hospital for the East Side of Ramsey County and a substantial part of Dakota and Washington counties. St. John's was encouraged to expand its facilities and services to meet the area's needs adequately.
  • 1968 – Land was purchased for a satellite hospital and approval was given to build a 100-bed Extended Care Unit. The ECF Unit was named for Paul C. Schorr and dedicated in November.
  • 1969 – The hospital had a busy year implementing the following:
    • Coronary Care
    • Computer accounting
    • Medical preceptors in family practice
    • Alcoholics Anonymous
    • 5-Day Stop Smoking Plan
    • Family counseling 
    • Class for people with diabetes
    • Prenatal classes
    • Drug abuse education
  • 1970 – A treatment center for chemically addicted patients was added, along with a Counterweight Program. New amenities included vending areas and renovated kitchen and dining areas.
  • 1985 – St. John's Northeast Hospital was built at its current Maplewood location. It was a state-of-the-art facility with private rooms. With St. John's East Side also in operation, St. John's Hospital was considered "one hospital with two sites."
  • 1986 – St. John's Hospital joined other metro hospitals to form HealthEast Care System. St. John's East Side closed.
  • 2000 – St. John's Hospital completed a major expansion project that included the emergency department, pharmacy, laboratory, radiology, Breast Care Center, radiation therapy and support services.
  • 2002 – To further enhance patient care, the hospital implemented an intensivist program in the ICU and in-house obstetrics coverage in Maternity Care.
  • 2003 – The only 24/7 Express Admit Unit in the Twin Cities opened.
  • 2004 – Our first robotic system, the da Vinci Surgical System, is used for prostatectomies. Former Senator Dave Durenburger speaks about the Governor's task force on health care at St. John's first annual Community Business Leaders Breakfast.
  • 2005 – St. John's is designated as a Primary Stroke Center and earns a Gold Seal of Approval from the Joint Commission. Digital mammography begins at the HealthEast Breast Care Center. The Hands of Love art exhibit is a welcome addition in the Maternity Care Center.
  • 2006 – Vocera, a voice activated communications system, begins at St. John's. HealthEast Women's Care begins at St. John's Hospital. Two radiation oncologists and a medical oncologist/hematologist join HealthEast Cancer Care Center at St. John's Hospital as the first oncologists hired in our new program model. A webcast of a live minimally invasive discectomy is broadcast live over the Internet from St. John's Surgery Services.
  • 2009 – St. John's launched the RAVE awards program to recognize employees who are making a difference in their community, leaders who inspire their staff and hospital staff who provide excellent patient care.
  • Read on to learn more about recent HealthEast awards and recognition.

Photos from St. John's past

Check out these historical photos of St. John's Hospital.

1911bldg

St. John's Hospital - 1911

×
1915-bldg2

St. John's Hospital - 1915

×
1953-bldg1

St. John's Hospital - 1953

×
childbirth-class1959

Childbirth class - 1959

×
hospital1985

St. John's Hospital - 1985

×
1911bldg
1915-bldg2
1953-bldg1
childbirth-class1959
hospital1985