Preparing for a Sleep Study
Find out more about sleep studies and what to expect.
Diagnosing a sleep disorder requires you to be monitored during sleep. This happens throughout a single 8-hour nighttime period in a private room.
While you are asleep, equipment and sensors record and monitor signals such as:
When you wake up in the morning, the sleep study will be over.
- Eye movements
- Muscle tension
- Leg movements
- Blood oxygen levels
The day of the study
On the day of your scheduled sleep study, the most important thing you can do is also the easiest — just follow your normal routine.
- Remember to bathe or shower and shampoo your hair.
- Avoid using any skin creams, oils or hair conditioners after bathing.
- Try to eat your evening meal before 7 pm.
- Avoid foods that contain caffeine (coffee, tea, colas, chocolate).
- Avoid drinking alcoholic beverages (beer, wine, liquor).
- You may be asked to shave if you have stubble on your face. The facial sensors adhere better to clean-shaven skin or longer facial hair.
- You may be asked to remove acrylic nail polish or the acrylic nail on one of your fingers to ensure accurate monitoring.
What to bring
- If you are diabetic, bring blood glucose monitor and supplies.
- A current list of your medications (prescription and non-prescription). Bring any medications you may need throughout the night or the next morning.
- If you'd like a snack during the evening, feel free to bring one with you.
- Bring your own pajamas. Patients are not allowed to sleep only in undergarments.
- Bring your favorite pillow.
- Toiletries or other personal hygiene items. Showers are available for your use.
When You Arrive
The sleep center is located in a locked and secure building. When you arrive, please ring the bell. A technician will unlock the door remotely so you can enter.
The morning after your sleep study:
- Some of our patients will visit with a physician during the morning between 8 and 11 am to review preliminary results of the study and discuss next steps.
- Some of our patients will follow-up with the physician who referred them for the sleep study within one to two weeks after the study is complete. We will remind you to make a follow-up appointment with your physician.
- A continental breakfast will be available.
If you must cancel your test, please contact us at least 48 hours in advance. Call our staff at 651-232-1212 during business hours, 8:30 am to 5 pm.