The certified nurse-midwives (CNMs) at HealthEast provide lifelong care for women including pregnancy, birth and beyond. Many women choose midwives because they enjoy building a strong relationship with their caregiver. Other women appreciate midwives' natural approach to prenatal care, labor and birth.
What is a certified nurse-midwife?
CNMs are advance practice nurses who have advanced education in midwifery and are certified by the American Midwifery Certification Board. In the United States, the profession dates back to the 1920s, and today there are thousands of Certified Nurse Midwives practicing in all 50 states. Visit the Minnesota Affiliate of the American College of Nurse-Midwives.
CNMs provide prenatal care, labor and birth, care after birth, family planning and pre-conception care, yearly gynecological exams, health maintenance and disease prevention counseling, and peri-menopausal management.
Go here for a list of HealthEast midwives.
Meet the Midwives events
The HealthEast Midwives host quarterly Meet the Midwives events where you can meet our providers and enjoy refreshments. Current and prospective patients, as well as partners, friends and family, are welcome. View the HealthEast special events calendar to find upcoming Meet the Midwives events.
Believing that pregnancy and birth are normal life processes, midwives tailor their care to the individual needs of each patient. They:
- Offer guidance on proper nutrition, exercise, sleep and travel during pregnancy
- Encourage women to make labor and birthing choices unique to their personal needs
- Prefer to minimize technological interventions during labor and birth
- Stress education, counseling and continuous hands-on care during labor, birth and postpartum
- Support a variety of labor options, including the freedom to move around, massage, a rocking chair, a deep tub or shower, a birthing ball, moist heat, pain medication and waterbirth
- Are qualified to administer medications, order labor epidurals and perform some medical procedures
When additional support is needed
Sometimes births become complicated, and additional support is needed. Certified nurse-midwives are trained to recognize and manage complications early and collaborate with doctors to ensure optimum care for women and their babies.
At HealthEast, we have special at-risk care units, on-site surgical suites and level II nurseries staffed with neonatologists and nurse practitioners.
Beyond delivering babies
Many people think of midwives only in connection with childbirth. On the contrary, midwives provide a wide range of services for all ages of women - from puberty through menopause.
- Yearly gynecological exams
Many women choose midwives for their yearly gynecological exams. Midwives also make an excellent choice for young women transitioning from pediatric care to adult medical care.
- Family planning and pre-conception counseling
Midwives are trained to provide personalized attention to the needs of couples as they begin planning a family.
- Health maintenance and disease prevention counseling
From caring for a woman's general medical needs to treating vaginal infections and counseling about sexually transmitted infections, certified nurse midwives often become primary care providers for many women.
- Peri-menopause counseling
Women today have more options than ever for managing menopause symptoms. Certified nurse-midwives can help them unravel the choices, from hormone replacement therapy to alternative medicine.