KSI Achieves First-in-the-Nation Certification
HealthEast Kidney Stone Institute (KSI) is the first ever to be awarded disease-specific care certification by The Joint Commission for kidney stone disease. This certification affirms that HealthEast's approach to patient care is consistently delivered across the most essential venues of care, from quality to patient experience.
Learn more about the certification and KSI.
Get facts about disease-specific care certification.
How this applies to kidney stone disease
- Kidney Stone Disease has historically been a source of frustration to patients and health care providers, largely due to the episodic nature of attacks and fragmented care delivery systems without clear measures for success.
- We have employed the core principles of The Joint Commission Disease-Specific Care Certification Program to guide restructuring the way we deliver care for the patient with stone disease.
- Working with The Joint Commission, we created the framework for the first program to achieve Disease-Specific Care Certification for kidney stone disease.
What this means to patients
We have developed a program that has four core principles:
- Minimize the life impact of kidney stone disease. A symptomatic stone should not cost a month (or more) of your life.
- Stones that have a chance of passing on their own deserve a chance to do so. We provide support for patients to maximize their chances for spontaneous passage.
- Stone clearance surgery, when necessary, should be safe, effective, efficient and provide lasting benefit.
- Equip our patients for long-term self-management through accurate diagnosis of risk factors and appropriate education.
- We aspire to deliver this level of care to all patients, all the time.
- We are always looking for opportunities for improvement.
- The Joint Commission regularly audits our program to ensure we continue to adhere to our program and uphold their standards.
Go here to learn about referring patients to the Kidney Stone Institute.