Therapeutic Recreation at Bethesda Hospital
How proceeds will be used
Therapeutic Recreation, part of the core rehabilitation services at Bethesda Hospital, provides treatments and recreation activities to patients with illnesses or disabling conditions. It helps patients recover, maintain or improve basic motor functioning and reasoning abilities as well as mental and emotional well-being, while reducing depression, stress, anxiety, boredom and loneliness. Treatments may incorporate arts and crafts, animals, sports, games, dance and movement, drama, music and community outings.
These services and activities are not covered by insurance and are especially critical to the healing for patients at Bethesda, given their average length of stay of 30 days or more.
Festival of Trees funds will be used for:
- More patient one-on-one sessions
- Art and music therapy equipment and experts
- Supplies for healing arts program
- Outpatient exercise groups and activities
- Additional group activities for our locked behavior unit patients, including recreational equipment for our fenced "safe" garden
Learn more about Bethesda Hospital and its programs and services.