The main types of cancer treatment include:
- Surgery - About 60% of cancer patients will undergo some sort of surgery, either by itself or in combination with other therapies.
- Radiation therapy - uses large doses of high-energy beams or particles to destroy cancer cells in a targeted area of the body.
- Chemotherapy - uses powerful drugs to kill cancer cells, control their growth or relieve pain symptoms.
These therapies can be used alone or in combination with each other. Location, size and stage of the tumor, as well as overall health, determines which treatment or treatments you will receive.
Treating cancer with new technology
New advances in technology give patients and doctors more ways to treat cancer. At HealthEast Cancer Care, you have access to these innovative treatment options:
- CyberKnife system (for various tumor locations) - Uses targeted, precise doses of radiation to target tumors. It is FDA-approved to treat tumors throughout the body and can achieve an outcome like surgery without incisions.
- Robotic Surgery (for prostate and lung cancer) - Allows doctors to perform surgery through small incisions, each about one inch in length.
- Balloon Therapy (for breast cancer) - After a lumpectomy, balloon therapy delivers a high dose of radiation directly to the location in the breast where cancer is most likely to recur.
Patients at HealthEast Cancer Care are treated by a team of specialists who tailor care to each patient's individual needs. The team may include:
- Medical oncologist/hematologist
- Radiation oncologist
- Other health care professionals